Friday, December 4, 2009

The Snow, it Snoweth Every Day

We are here in the middle of a winter storm, and a real doozy at that. It took me a long time to get home - I have been driving for 17 years and never been so afraid on the road. At one point I was going down the highway at 40 kilometers an hour, in second gear, white-knuckled, with my four-way flashers on. There was an especially memorable moment that ended with me on the shoulder, stalled, inches from a ditch.

But I made it home, the boy and I had curry for dinner (the Santa parade he was supposed to take part in this evening was cancelled) and now we are snug in our little house, with the fireplace on, and new knitting to knit.

In other news, I've been tired all week - I remember being this tired just before the tattooed man at the blood donor clinic watched a drop of my blood float bravely in that blue stuff they use and said "dude, your iron is seriously low." Perhaps I shall eat a steak, just for the hell of it.

I have marking to do (yuck) and books to read (hurray!). I've been working on Hunger, a young adult book that is the sequel to Gone. Sadly, all the things that were bugging me by the end of Gone are the focus of Hunger, so it's a bit of a slog. Thankfully, I am also rediscovering the old Inspector Banks books I haven't read for years. I'm especially thrilled when I come across the original receipts (I bought most of them in Montreal when I was in university and seriously poor, but still managed to carve a bit out of the beans and rice budget to get a British detective fix) and remember where I was then, and what I was doing.

Things sure have changed since then, but on a snowy night all that matters is a good book, and home. That hasn't changed at all.

2 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

Steak isn't the greatest iron fix. Steel cut oatmeal (not the quick cooking kind). Raisins, liver, eggs, and tuna or salmon. If you are going to try to get iron from meat or dairy, have it with green leafy vegetables to help the uptake, and don't eat whole grains at the same time (they prohibit the uptake).

There are some serious issues around anemia, and you should work on trying to up your iron content.

(My drive home sucked too.)

Artsy Reader said...

Thanks for the tip - we eat steel-cut oatmeal every morning, and I frequently use my cast-iron pan to cook in, which I understand can give a small boost to one's iron.

Sadly, I loathe leafy greens with an unholy passion.

Glad you're safe home as well!