Thursday, February 5, 2009

What I learned today.



A new idiom! (I love idioms. My ESL classes could easily be called "the daily idiom." Or, even, "the village idiom." But I digress.)

And today, from a food blog called "Chocolate and Zucchini" that I was reading while I should have been marking, I learned this:

"Like a kiss without a mustache" is a literal translation of comme un baiser sans moustache, a French idiom that means that one thing is pointless without the other. Similar, but less perky: comme un violon sans cordes (like a violin without strings) or comme une soupe sans sel (like soup without salt).

So there. Another Thursday, not wasted.

1 comment:

Mrs. Spit said...

Your questions, Ma'am.

1. What book do you most like to share with children?

2. If you couldn't read, what would you do instead (go crazy isn't an option)

3. If you were to write a book, what kind of a book would it be?

4. What is your ideal day?

5. What one thing did you want for Christmas, that you didn't get?