Thursday, February 19, 2009

Questions, answered.

I read a lot of blogs, and one of the blogs I've been following is the delightful Mrs. Spit Spouts Off, which can be found at: http://mrsspitspouts.blogspot.com/

I particularly like Mrs. Spit's blog because even though I disagree with a lot of what she says (like she says there is a God and I say there ain't) she says it with such elegance, with such conviction, with such honesty, that I quite like listening.

So when Mrs. Spit answered some questions on her blog and offered to ask other people quesions on theirs (does that make sense?) I thought I would step up.

These are Mrs. Spit's questions, and my answers:
1. What book do you most like to share with children?

I don't have a particular title... I read a lot of young adult literature, and if there's any book I feel passionate about I pass it on. One of my best moments as a teacher was giving a book to a student to read, and having that student's mother tell me that her daughter had never been a reader until she came in contact with that book. (The book was by Sonia Sones, and entitled "One of those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies.") There are books that have changed my life: "I Am David" and the Narnia books and several others too, but I don't tend to evangelize about them. I'd rather just give kids books to read and time to read in, and hope something clicks.

2. If you couldn't read, what would you do instead (go crazy isn't an option)

I probably would go crazy, actually.... If I couldn't read I would probably knit, although I can read while I eat and I can't knit while I eat (ask me how I learned that), which would be frustrating.

3. If you were to write a book, what kind of a book would it be?

I would love to write a book for young people. There are so many amazing authors out there for kids, it would be wonderful to be part of that. (I just read Nick Hornby's book "Slam", which was wonderful - now there's a hard act to follow.)

4. What is your ideal day?

It involves reading, and soup, and maybe a walk, and a fair bit of solitude and no particular place to go or time to be there.

5. What one thing did you want for Christmas, that you didn't get?

Hmmmm.... I've been holding out for a stamp to put in my books (an "Ex Libris" kind of thing) which no one has ever stepped up with. I live in hope.

Anyone else want to answer questions? Leave a comment and I'll get right back to you.

No comments: