Monday, June 22, 2009

Not in Kansas Anymore (or southern Alberta, either)

We went away for a bit, and look what we saw:



Take my word for it, trees like that do not grow on the short grass prairie.

And roses! Growing outside! Like it was no big deal!



I had a Georgia O'Keeffe moment:



And my grandmother had a moment of her own:



The boy met a hermit crab:



And I got all artsy with my camera, as I used to do back in the day when I was living on student loans and hope and pretension (that would be... oh, let's see, last year).



I admired a bridge:




And a lighthouse:




And my boy...



...ran down...




...the Neptune Stairs...




...without falling. (Well, he fell later, but that's another story. Actually, it's not a story at all. He fell because he's a boy and boys fall.)



Why did we do all this?

The best reason possible:



My mom got her Master's degree from Royal Roads University in Victoria, and we all went out to celebrate with her. A good time was had by all, and we couldn't be more proud. ("I went to my mom's convocation," I told a co-worker. "Oh," she said, "so that's where you get your complete lack of ambition.")

Congratulations, mom. You done good.

1 comment:

Mrs. Spit said...

As soon as I saw the stairs, I knew where you were. Mr. Spit was there way back when it was still a military college. And tells a brilliant story about a peacock roosting in the tree at the top of the stairs, and dive bombing the commandant, each morning.